50 Years of Playtex® Tampons
Playtex® has a long history of making bold moves. We’ve helped push the period care category forward by introducing several new types of tampons over the years, focused on comfort and protection. And we were the first company to advertise tampons on television, before it was even allowed to show the product on air!
- 1932The Playtex® manufacturing plant was built in Rochester, NY and later moved to Dover, Delaware, U.S.A.
- 1950s-60s Playtex® built its name developing several products including girdles, bathing caps, latex gloves, bras, bottles and more
- 1962 Playtex® introduced the first plastic applicator tampon as a more comfortable alternative than cardboard applicator tampons
- 1970s Playtex® introduced deodorant tampons, at the time “the only tampon with both deodorant and absorbency protection” and Gentle Glide® tampons, featuring a smooth plastic, tapered tip applicator focused on comfortable placement
- 1980s Playtex® lists basic ingredients on tampon boxes
- 2006 Introduced Playtex® Sport® tampons for active lifestyles
- 2014 Introduced Playtex® Sport® Fresh Balance (now OdorShield®) tampons
- 2022 Introduced Playtex Clean Comfort™ tampons, made with 40% less plastic (vs. Playtex® Sport® Regular Absorbency)